Jumbled Meditation (on the road from East London)

Straight-backed, I sit in silence
but for the R3.30 in five cent pieces
rattling in my ashtray
and the wind whistling through the crack in my window.
My hands taut on the steering wheel
as I swerve from pothole, sheep, pothole, warthog, pedestrian, pothole.

I keep my eyes fixed on the road
but my mind drifts to prayers said untruthfully,
lies told unwillingly,
duties shirked unashamedly,
in between snippets of songs playing in my head
that I refrain from singing for her sake.

Occasionally I look at her –
eyes closed and peaceful –
and wonder what is happening in her head.
But then I hit a pothole
and am jerked from my reverie
to concentrate again on pothole, goat, pothole, pedestrian, pothole.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

On my bookshelf

  • Alice Sebold - The Lovely Bones
  • Ben Sherwood - The Man Who Ate the 747
  • David Mitchell - Number 9 Dream
  • Gregory Maguire - Wicked
  • Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
  • JD Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye
  • Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-TIme
  • Neil Gaiman - American Gods
  • Neil Gaiman - Neverwhere
  • Neil Gaiman - Smoke and Mirrors
  • Salman Rushdie - Shalimar the Clown
  • Salman Rushdie - The Enchantress of Florence
  • Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic and Baby
  • Terry Pratchett - The Colour of Magic

Visitors